Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Q & A with MG's Hayley Martin

Senior Hayley Martin will graduate from Monona Grove as the most decorated swimmer in the school's history. She holds six individual school records (50, 100, 200, and 500 frees, 100 back, 200 IM) and is a member of two school-record relay teams (200/400 free relays). She's won 10 sectional titles in individual events and relays, and enters this weekend's state Division 2 swim meet as the top seed in both the 50 and 100 freestyles.

Name: Hayley Kathryn Martin
School: Monona Grove High School
Year: Senior
Favorite event to swim: 100 free
Proudest accomplishment as a swimmer: I would say getting the Monona Grove girls swim team to the point where it is now. I'm proud to say I was a part of the team that finished a school-best 3rd place at the state meet, when just two years before we finished 17th. I'm also extremely proud to say I was a part of the team that has set 8 (hopefully soon to be 11) new team records.
Favorite swimming memory: That's a tough one. I guess I would say winning the 400 free relay at state last year. Katie Barta and I had been on four top-ranked relays and it felt so good to finally win one, especially to do it together...with the help of two really fast freshmen.
Favorite non-swimming activity: Going to movies...favorite movie currently in theaters is "Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa."
Favorite food: Pasta...I eat it just about every day.
Music you listen to get psyched up for a meet: Creedence Clearwater Revival but once I'm at the meet it's all Techno.
Role model: My uncle because at the age of 50 he was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He then lost about 50 pounds and at the age of 52 ran the Chicago Marathon.
Favorite swimmer: Ian Thorpe...even though he retired, and Dara Torres because she retired but still swam in the Olympics.
Family: Sunshine (mom), Chuckles (dad), Hank (brother) a junior swimming for University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
Plans after high school: I plan to go to college and continue swimming.
Career goal: I don't know all the details yet, but I'm pretty sure it involves me getting filthy rich without really doing much at all. I plan to major either in journalism or history.

No comments: