Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Senior profile -- Madison Edgewood's Kelsey Richards

The Badger Conference has been known in recent years for producing top-notch Div. 2 freestyle sprinters. In the past few years, Monroe's Ellie Radke, Monona Grove's Hayley Martin, and Sauk Prairie's Abby Diehl have all won D2 state titles in the 50 or 100 free races.

The latest Badger Conference sprinter joining the ranks of the state's top D2 sprinters is Madison Edgewood's Kelsey Richards. Richards, who focuses on both the 50 and 100 frees, has qualified individually for the D2 state meet each of her first three years, and last year finished 4th at state in the 50 and 8th in the 100. She also contributed strong relay legs on Edgewood's 200 (2nd place) and 400 (8th) free relays last year which hope to get back to state. She'll certainly be a threat to capture a sectional title in the sprints this Saturday at the Baraboo sectional.

Name: Kelsey Mercedes Richards
School: Edgewood High School
Year: Senior
Favorite Event to Swim: 50 free
Proudest Accomplishment as a Swimmer: I am most proud of how I have shared my love of swimming. I am a coach for the Nakoma Swim Team in the All City league. I love how I get to pass on my passion for swimming to the kids I coach. It is really fun and enjoyable to watch them fall in love with such a great sport.
Favorite Swimming Memory: Winning the 200 free relay at the Madison All City meet with my sister, Devon, and friends, Ruby and Ivy Martin. It was a blast to swim with such good friends and to have our own sister relay!
Favorite Non-Swimming Activity: Outside of swimming, I like to run a lot. I am on my school’s track team in the spring. I sprint in that sport as well. I also really like to read. My favorite book is the The Time Traveler’s Wife.
Favorite Food: Ice Cream, especially Shamrock Shakes
Favorite Movie: Breakfast at Tiffany’s; Mighty Ducks Trilogy
Music You Listen to Get Psyched Up for a Meet: “Remember the Name” By Fort Minor
Role Model: My grandparents, Noni and Papa, and my close friend, Cali Stephens, for too many reasons to count.
Favorite Swimmer: Jason Lezak, after that 400 freestyle relay at the Olympics how could you pick anyone else?!?
Family: Laura (Mom), Kendall (Dad), 2 younger sisters – Devon (16) and Samantha (14).
Plans after High School: Attend a university and continue working hard, whether I’m in the pool or in the classroom.
Career Goal: Narrow down my interests to a potential major. I’m very torn at the moment. Also, I’d really like to be a mom and have a family in the future.
Favorite Quote: “Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swaps of the not quite, the not yet, and the not at all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists. It is real. It is possible. It is yours.” – Ayn Rand

No comments: